Digital Reporter, Vermont Public Radio. Colchester VT
September 2013 – Present
- Cover breaking news, daily stories and multi-week investigations for VPR on air and online
- Collaborate with digital news team to report and produce interactive, multimedia web presentations
- Conduct document- and statistic-driven reporting on policy and politics
- Develop social media presence for both news gathering and content sharing
Breaking News Coverage, Boston Marathon & Watertown Manhunt
April 15 – April 19, 2013
- Provided on-scene Twitter coverage and photography of both events with iPhone and Digital SLR
- Interviewed by BBC World News, Al Jazeera, The Burlington Free Press and Fox 44 of Burlington, VT
- Photographs licensed by CNN, ABC, The Burlington Free Press, WPTZ News and others
- Published first-hand accounts and photos of both the marathon bombing and the manhunt on Medium
Political Reporting Intern, VTDigger.org, Montpelier VT
Summer 2011 & Summer 2012
- Fully reported and wrote daily news stories as well as multi-week investigations (individual and collaborative)
- Site moderation and maintenance
- Social media monitoring and news-gathering
EDUCATION & EXTRACURRICULARS
Northeastern University, Boston MA
Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism, Class of 2013
- The Huntington News, Web Editor, 2011
- The Huntington News, News Editor, Spring 2012
- The Huntington News, Editorial Columnist, Fall 2012 – Spring 2013
University of Vermont, Burlington VT
Attended September 2008 – May 2010
- The Water Tower (Alternative Student Newspaper), Staff Writer
- Dean’s List
Montpelier High School, Montpelier VT
College Preparatory Curriculum, Graduated June 2008
- Varsity Baseball, Spring 2006 – Spring 2008 – Unified Bowling, 2006 – 2007
- Attended National Youth Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C.
- Two classes in HTML coding and editing along with basic CSS.
- Used WordPress to create and publish my own blog.
- Video shooting and editing experience
- Light photography experience
- Proficient with all Microsoft Office applications
- Familiar with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- Created a Facebook fan page for a news organization and interacted with readers that way.
- Have accounts and at least basic knowledge of virtually every social media tool and site on the internet and am interested in and able to learn new ones as they emerge.
- Deep knowledge of twitter, able to monitor it for both brand management (PR) and breaking news.
HONORS AND OPPORTUNITIES
- The VPR news staff was honored with 2014 regional Edward R. Murrow awards for our web content as well as for continuing coverage of Vermont Health Connect, the state’s health care exchange.