I spent the spring semester as the news editor of Northeastern University’s student newspaper, The Huntington News, where I coordinated coverage of all on-campus (or near campus) news, including student government, administration and other student issues.
It was a totally new experience, and learning to manage a staff and coordinate photography and reporting for multiple stories at once was definitely a challenge, but I am very glad I had the chance to do it. Some of the stories I’m especially proud of from the semester, in no particular order and not necessarily written by me:
Coverage of the Barstool Sports Blackout Tour, which sparked controversy from women’s rights activists at Northeastern:
- Barstool Sports party sparks controversy (By Angel Feliciano and Bill Shaner)
- Knockout group protests Barstool party (By Taylor Dobbs)
Coverage of a proposed Chick-fil-A location in Northeastern’s Curry Student Center, which caused outrage in the LGBT community:
- Curry, Marino renovation plans unveiled (Nick Jacques)
- Critics organize against CSC Chick-fil-A location (Nick Jacques)
- SGA votes against Chick-fil-A on campus (Nick Jacques)
- Chick-fil-A not coming to NU (Nick Jacques)
Northeastern’s cafeteria workers spoke out against their managers, who they say mistreated them:
- NU cafeteria workers claim mistreatment (Kristen McCleary)
- Chartwells workers speak out against managers (Taylor Dobbs)
- Chartwells workers vote to unionize (Taylor Dobbs)
- Chartwells workers join Local 26 union (Taylor Dobbs)
I’ll be spending another summer with VTDigger.org starting tomorrow. I’ll be covering the campaign season here in Vermont, as well as other political happenings.
2 thoughts on “A semester as news editor of The Huntington News”
is this in huntington ny? or huntington wv?
This is Huntington Ave. in Boston, Mass.